Maureen Barkley, Pleasantview Township Treasurer
Cheryl Halfacer, Pleasantview Township Deputy Treasurer
1. BY LAW, IT IS THE PROPERTY OWNER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW THEY HAVE A TAX BILL AND OBTAIN ONE. Summer taxes are mailed in the first week of July. Winter taxes are mailed in the first week of December.
2. The property owner is responsible to contact the Township if their mailing address changes. Otherwise, you may not receive your tax bill. An incorrect mailing address is NOT grounds for removing any accumulated interest and penalties that have been applied.
3. If a property owner utilizes an agent to manage and pay their property taxes, it is Pleasantview Township’s policy that the agent must request a copy of the tax bill each season of each year. Summer taxes should be requested in June and Winter taxes should be requested in November. It is the property owner’s responsibility to inform their agent of this policy.
4. Per State of Michigan law, THE PROPERTY OWNER(S) MUST RECEIVE THE ORIGINAL TAX BILL.
5. Pleasantview Township does accept postmark when mailing your tax payments. As long as your envelope is postmarked on of before the due date, your tax payment will not be considered late.
6. Pleasantview Township does have a drop box that is checked on a daily basis. Taxes that are in the drop box anytime on or before the due date will not be considered late. You will receive a receipt as confirmation that we received your tax payment.
7. STATE OF MICHIGAN TAX LAW DOES NOT ALLOW TREASURERS TO REMOVE INTEREST AND PENALTY. Summer taxes are due on September 14 (unless the 14th falls on a weekend or holiday, then the due date is the next business day). Winter taxes are due on February 14 (unless the 14th falls on a weekend or holiday, then the due date is the next business day).
8. FOR LATE SUMMER TAX PAYMENTS, 1% PER MONTH INTEREST WILL BE ADDED AFTER THE DUE DATE.
ON FEBRUARY 15, A 3% PENALTY IS ADDED.
9. FOR LATE WINTER TAX PAYMENTS, 1% PER MONTH INTEREST WILL BE ADDED.
ON FEBRUARY 15, AN ADDITIONAL PENALTY WILL BE ADDED.
10. IF SUMMER AND WINTER PROPERTY TAXES HAVE NOT BEEN PAID BY MARCH 1ST, THESE TAXES WILL BECOME DELINQUENT. Delinquent Taxes can only be paid through the Emmet County Treasurer Office with ADDITIONAL INTEREST AND PENALTIES. Checks are to be made payable to Pleasantview Township.
1. Pursuant to Public Act 641 of 2002 (MCL 211.44(2)(b), a Township Treasurer shall be in his or her office from 9 AM to 5 PM to receive tax payments on the last day of February. This is the last day taxes are due and payable before being returned as delinquent under MCL 211.55.
2. Public Act 641 also provides that a Township Treasurer shall be in his or her office from 9 AM to 5 PM to collect taxes one business day between December 25 and January 1.
3. Amie, the Township Secretary, will be in the office M-F 9 AM to 12:30 PM as well as the above hours in February and one day between December 25 and January 1. Call the Township Office after December 15 for the exact date.